Tuesday, August 30

First Week of Classes

Unfortunately my first week of law school, which I've been looking forward to forever, was vastly overshadowed by Mother Nature. But other than that, the first week of classes was great. After being out of school for over a year, it's taken me a while to get used to getting up so early again.

Monday was the first day of classes. They went pretty well all in all. I wasn't the first student called on Monday morning so that was a huge relief.

Tuesday as I was reading in between classes when the earthquake struck. It was a bizarre feeling and as it was happening I just kept thinking "I hope this stops soon because its really uncomfortable." We stood outside on the streets around the school for about an hour before they let us back in.

Wednesday I got called on for the first time in my Contracts class. I didn't make a huge fool of myself so that's always a plus.

Thursday it became apparent that Hurricane Irene was going to hit the East Coast so after classes I headed to Safeway. I stocked up on all kinds of food, but I couldn't find a flashlight there.

Friday, after my only class in the morning, I headed out on an expedition to find a flashlight. I went to this shopping area in nearby Tenleytown. I trekked to Best Buy, Ace Hardware, Radio Shack, and several CVS, but all to no avail; each place was sold out of flashlights. I finally walked by a bike store and I thought, hey why not? In the basement, below the bike shop, I found the Holy Grail of hurricane preparedness. They had not one, not two, but three different kinds of full-size flashlights still for sale! So luckily, I did not return empty-handed.

Saturday I woke up early to finish preparing. I took a shower and afterwards filled the bathtub up with water. I made sure to get cash from the ATM, put batteries in the flashlight, and made a pasta salad to eat later for dinner. By lunchtime I hunkered down on my sofa ready for the hurricane. And then . . . it never really got that bad. I didn't loose power at all, which allowed me to marathon through two seasons of Mad Men on Netflix.

So, all-in-all, a very busy week. Sunday I let out the water in my tub and got down to reading. Nothing too exciting but this week is going to be even crazier.


No comments:

Post a Comment