Wednesday, November 24

Happy Turkey Day!



A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues.  ~Cicero


So, it's been awhile since I have updated. My apologies. I've been adjusting to a far less-demanding schedule. But I'm back now to my regularly scheduled postings. 


Thanksgiving combines several of my favorite things: good food and good company. So does Christmas but that is so commercialized today. It's always nice to go home over the Thanksgiving weekend and see people you haven't seen for several months. But more importantly, thanksgiving is about appreciation. 


It's easy to overlook Thanksgiving as just another stupid American holiday but this is probably the one holiday whose purpose I fully support. I truly people that people, especially Americans, don't take enough time out of their lives to appreciate everything they have. Don't get me wrong, times are hard for a lot of people right now, however, I think that is all the more reason to think about the good things you have in life. By reminding yourself of the good things, it makes the bad things seem more bearable. 


More than that though, giving thanks shows the people close to you that you acknowledge all that they have done for you. We do things for each other all the time, little and small, and we don't always remember to say thanks. 


I think it is especially important for Americans to give thanks because we are are lucky in so many ways. For all of America's faults, we still have a high standard of living, many of our schools are the best in the world, and compared to many areas we live in a mostly peaceful society devoid of violent conflict. 


Here are some of things I'm thankful for, in no particular order:
1. I am happy to be surrounded by my family and friends, and for everyone's good health.
2. I am thankful that I have gotten my law school applications out of the way already. 
3. I am excited to watch Ohio State beat Michigan for the what, seventh time now? 
4. I am thankful to have a roof over my head and for the employment that I still have.
5. Finally, I am thankful for the experience and opportunities I have had in the past year and those that will come in the next.


So this holiday, take a few minutes between bites of turkey, before you line up for Black Friday, and after you've finished watching the big game to really sit and think about everything you have to be thankful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment