Wednesday, May 25

May 1, 2011: Good News Everyone!

When I woke up this morning I did not except it to be an interesting day by any means. And for the most part it wasn't. I went to work, came home around 10:30 pm, hurried over to Sonic's next door with Dandrich to get dinner, and came home to watch some TV before going to bed.

However, around 9:30 when I checked my phone for text messages there was a notification from the Huffington Post announcing that the President would be addressing the nation later that night. I didn't have much time to think about as we were preoccupied closing the store, but I assumed it had something to do with the bombings in Libya. As I headed to my car I checked the front page of the Huffington Post to see what President Obama had said. There was no further mention of it on the HP at 10:30 ish so I forgot about it.

When Dandrich and I returned home, I turned on the television and begin flipping through the channels to see what was on. As I passed over  CNN the headline "Osama bin Laden is dead" caught my attention. I called Dandrich over and we turned to MSNBC to watch the President's speech.

Watching the celebration of many outside the White House, I turned to Dandrich and asked, "Do you think people are doing anything here in Columbus?"

"Probably on campus," he replied. So we hurriedly pulled on shoes and rain jackets and headed over to Ohio State campus. As turned down Woodruff Avenue, we saw students in shorts and T-shirts, some in swimming attire, but all with towels, running across the street toward the middle of campus. This is actually a very common sight at Ohio State, but usually only on the Thursday night before the Ohio State - Michigan game. On that night hundreds of students brave the freezing cold to jump into the tiny yet scenic Mirror Lake by the South Oval.

Figuring that all these students must be headed to the same place, we made our way toward Mirror Lake.  This is what we found when we got there:





I guess the only thing Buckeyes hate more than Michigan is terrorists.

No comments:

Post a Comment